How To Take A Shower The Right Way – Shower Routine Steps
If there is something in this world that can give your mind and body a session of rejuvenation, it’s a shower. Showering not just cleanses your body but also takes away all your negativity and gives a feel of soothing. It’s one of the best ways to relax yourselves.
Everyone wants to look neat and clean, some have this as a habit, while some just do it so that people could see them. But, each one of us adores being clean and confident in our looks. One thing which helps in achieving this is a shower routine. Healthy skin comes with healthy skincare regimes. Most people take shower merely for the sake of doing it. But one must have a proper shower routine to have a healthy and radiant glow in themselves. Let’s take a look at some good shower routine practices.
Shower Routine Essentials
Start with the right water temperature
The temperature of the water you use can have a big impact on the effectiveness of your shower. Water that’s too hot can dry out your skin and strip away its natural oils, while water that’s too cold may not be as effective at cleaning. It’s generally recommended to use warm water, which is around 37-39°C (98-102°F). This will help to open up your pores and cleanse your skin without causing any damage.
Use the right products
Choosing the right products for your skin and hair is also important when taking a shower. Avoid using harsh soaps or shampoos that contain sulfates, as these can strip away your skin and hair’s natural oils, leaving them dry and brittle. Instead, opt for gentle, moisturizing products that are designed for your specific skin and hair type. Look for products that are free from harsh chemicals and fragrances, and always read the label to make sure they’re suitable for your needs.
Take your time
Taking a quick shower may be convenient, but it may not be the best for your skin and hair. It’s important to take your time and give your body a thorough cleanse. Spend a few extra minutes massaging your scalp to help increase circulation and promote healthy hair growth. Don’t forget to scrub your skin gently with a loofah or washcloth to remove dead skin cells and unclog pores. However, be gentle when exfoliating, as scrubbing too hard can damage your skin.
After you’ve finished washing, make sure you rinse thoroughly to remove all traces of soap and shampoo. Leaving any residue on your skin or hair can cause irritation and dryness. Be sure to rinse your hair thoroughly, as leftover shampoo can lead to buildup and dandruff. It’s also a good idea to use a conditioner to help detangle and moisturize your hair.
Pat dry, don’t rub
Finally, after you’ve finished your shower, be gentle when drying yourself off. Avoid rubbing your skin with a towel, as this can cause irritation and dryness. Instead, pat your skin dry with a soft towel to help retain moisture. If you have long hair, gently squeeze out any excess water with a towel before using a hairdryer on a low heat setting.
Shower like a pro
Showering is a complete process that has to be practiced in order to have a healthy regime. Certain steps have to be followed before, during, and after the shower to get the best out of your shower routine. To have a correct shower routine, one must try to adapt to the below-mentioned steps in their regime.
Before you begin your shower, make sure you are keeping your skin ready to utilize the shower well. In order to do so, start using a soft bristle brush (dry brush) before going for a shower. Using face masks before bathing also helps people with dry skin.
- Face Masks: Just before going for your shower have practice of applying face masks or face packs. This could be any homemade face mask or any commercial product of your choice. But make sure that it suits your skin well. People get irritation or face infections if they do not judge it right. Having a good face mask before the shower helps you in having opened skin pores and deeper cleansing of your skin.
- Dry Brush: Dry Brush helps people who generally have dry skins. It helps in removing the dead cells from your skin and unlocking your skin pores well. But be wise in choosing the brush as it should not have hard bristles which could indeed damage your skin rather than replenishing. Make sure to brush all around your body and do not brush a region more with extra pressure as it may cause irritation or sometimes even rashes.
During a shower, one must keep these steps in mind to have a proper and effective shower.
- Body Wash Gels: It is a good practice to apply body wash gel during your bath. Body wash helps in removing the dirt from the underarms and feet region. Most of the time we avoid cleaning these regions and with time they start accumulating the dirt more and more. One has to be wise enough to choose a pH-balanced body wash gel that helps them in removing dead skin cells.
- Lukewarm Water Shower: A lukewarm water shower has its perks as it helps in cleansing skin without dryness. But make sure that it’s lukewarm water, not the hot and boiling one as it damages your skin slowly, especially for those who ideally take longer showers.
- Shaving: Shaving body hair during the shower is one of the best times to shave. Bathing softens your hair follicles up to a certain extent which helps to clean body hairs more effectively. Shaving lotions and quality razors should also be taken care of by individuals to have a healthy shave. This helps in avoiding any irritation or infection post-shaving.
People do have questions in their minds that what should we apply after the shower? There are certain after-shower techniques that one can adapt.
- Moisturizing: Moisturizing helps to lock in the moisture in your body so that you can avoid the dryness of the skin. It also helps in keeping your skin hydrated and retain its glow.
- Oiling: People do consider oiling as a pre-shower and post-shower both practice. But it is always good to have oils reach your body soon after the showers as your pores remain open for a while. It allows oil to reach your body and make your skin and hair healthy.
So, these are a few basics about the correct shower routine which one can adopt in order to stay hygienic and retain healthy skin.
How Often Should You Actually Shower?
As long as your body feels clean and hygienic with one shower a day you must not worry much. There are no limits on the number of showers one can have. It completely depends on the environmental conditions where you are residing to decide your shower regimes. If it’s a hot and humid place you may not be able to resist the heat and multiple showers would be a mandate over there to regulate your body temperature.
But if it’s a colder environment then people do tend to avoid showers which is ideally wrong. If someone has a lower showering frequency then they have higher chances to develop some sort of infections in their bodies. Whereas it’s also not so healthy to have a higher shower frequency rate as it can cause some significant damage to your skin, eczema-like skin diseases could be caused by more showering. So, make sure that you are keeping a balance in your shower regimes.
How Long Should One Shower?
People also have a habit of taking longer showers. This may be due to their body’s urge to cool down in hot weather or habitual practice. If you are following some routine in your daily shower, it may take some time for you to get it done. So is a 20-minute shower too long? Well, ideally one should not take more than 10-12 odd minutes to wrap this process. But if someone is taking more time for their shower then there are chances that they would end up increasing the water usage.
We all know that millions around the world are even deprived of water for their basic needs due to its scarcity. On the other hand, we are privileged enough to have it around us. It is not at all a sensible act to keep standing under a shower for that long ideally. One can have longer showers occasionally as it is a great way to refresh yourself but it shouldn’t be a common practice.
Well, showering is a magical way to not just rejuvenate yourself but also to improve your immune system. A good shower would ultimately enhance the blood flow in your body which would result in better concentration. A shower routine helps you to be very decisive in what you are doing to your body daily. It’s always a plus having this kind of practice in your day-to-day life. Some people love to shower early morning with the rising sun, some do it mid-day while some would prefer to have it at night. It’s all completely individual’s choice on when are they going to have their shower and what is the step correct regime for them. We shared some of the best practices that one can follow to have a good shower routine. So, do make sure that you have something like this in your regime as well!