Bad Mood: 11 ways to overcome it and Effects of Bad Mood
There are often days when things don’t go your way. You wish for something and in return, you don’t get what’s expected, what happens then? A volcanic eruption in your brain cells and thus results in a bad mood. Well, there is no single reason specific to the cause of bad mood, it could be anything. Things that annoy you, things that don’t let you be in a peaceful state of mind, or things that make you feel irritated all can lead you to a bad mood.
A mind is a place that experiences roller coaster rides of emotions. Some days go as you have planned while some don’t. In this fast-paced life, it’s a tedious task to maintain a constant mood throughout. Irrespective of age, anyone could be caught up in bad mood. But most commonly these mood swings are a part of the younger generation group. Especially for teenagers, it becomes quite a big deal to know how to deal with a bad mood. That’s what is a bad mood.
Why is everyone in a bad mood today?
Well, this could be the question of the century. People these days have developed the thinking of inferiority complexion. The world runs at a rapid pace, and people’s expectations of getting better than someone never ends. Someone wants to earn more than their neighbors, someone wants to manage work and fun altogether, some are just running this race for the sake of their ego, and if they fail in this at any point, the result is nothing but a bad mood.
At a younger age, people often feel low sometimes. This is the phase where each one of us struggles to build our image and identity. Young age specifically symbolizes teenage, the phase of life where everything is new. Teens often fail to understand the ongoing things in this journey. They are young by their ages and approach of thinking as well. Even a small loss in a fun game or a low grade in exams can dishearten them up to the extrema. But, a bad mood is not just about those who are young or aren’t mature enough to understand things. The grown-ups as well cant escape this trap of mood swings.
Effects of Bad Mood
People often do not realize what do they end up doing or speaking when they are in bad mood. There can be days when you are waking up in a bad mood due to a terrible sleep at night or it may be anything else. Such a bad start to the day could end up spoiling your entire day. You won’t be doing your works with the same focus which is required. You might end up messing up things. To make it worse a bad mood can also lead to an unnecessary fight. Most of the mood swings occur in the teenage as it symbolizes immaturity up to some extent.
With time comes the mature mindset, but maintaining a good mood all the time is not at all easy. Even people with a good amount of life experience end up feeling the heat of the bad mood. People have a lot of responsibilities on them and at times it becomes frustrating when things aren’t going your way. Sometimes you will have a fight with people with whom you are close, your family just because your mood wasn’t right. The constant development of this nature would lead towards making you short-tempered. People often complain of depression, but hardly realize the fact that bad moods are of the major causes of it.
Types of Bad Mood
A bad mood could be due to any reasons as life always has something or the other to worry about. Let us discuss a few of the common types of bad moods. The most common one is the constant bad mood. Few people have this habit of being annoyed and frustrated all the time. It becomes really difficult for them to be in a normal state with anyone around them. They will be always in a bad mood and tired in their approach. They often end up having a bad mood with family, friends, and all other acquaintances. The main reason for constantly having a bad mood is the negativity in the mind. People have a really bad habit of comparing themselves with others or feeling inferior about themselves. Even though they are capable enough but the negativity makes them feel worthless and thus resulting in a bad mood.
People also go into a state of bad mood due to a dark past. Its often said that memories haunt people sometimes. Yes, indeed it’s true, this is mainly caused by overthinking about something. A past could be about anything about you and your mistakes which can make you feel embarrassed at times. This feeling of ‘what if I had done this or I had not’, makes you go into a very sabotaged state of mind. One must understand that they can’t change the past so it’s better to forget and move on in life.
Some people have a habit of turning off their moods even for small things. The only way to command this is by stopping the overthinking nature and adopting let bygones be bygones philosophy.
11 ways to overcome Bad Mood
We saw what are bad moods and their various types, let us see some ways with which we can overcome it;
- Learn to Express – It’s a really common issue among people that most of them are shy to express themselves. They rarely open up on something. A person who is having a problem of a bad mood needs to talk with the people whom they trust and who can understand their concerns.
- Don’t run away: When problems are on the head, most people try running away from them and this creates a real fuss. Learn to face the problems and ways to deal with them. It may take time to resolve but at the end of the day, you will walk out stress-free.
- Calm Down: It is also advisable to stay in calmness when these mood swings occur. Try to keep your breaths and heart rates under control by doing the relaxation activities which suit you.
- It’s not just you: It is often a misconception in people’s minds that they are the only ones who are going through this. At a young age, almost every teen experiences this and it is quite a common thing. So, you are not alone.
- Engage yourself in Exercises: Yes, doing regular physical activities not just makes you fit but also shifts your focus from your current state. Your bad mood can be wiped out with continuous efforts in exercises. Rather than harming your body by smoking in stress, just put that energy into your workout and feel the change.
- Be Creative: Well, being creative is not everyone’s cup of tea, but we can still manage to come up with something. Each one of us has the ability to do something creative and different. The only task is to identify what’s in you and spend your time in this. It could be anything like writing, singing, dancing or whatever you are best at.
- Try to Cry: It is often said that Men don’t cry, or crying symbolizes weakness. But, this thought process must be changed. Sometimes it’s really good to cry your heart out. It often helps in making you feel better. There are times when people become hopeless and at that time it is not a good idea to suppress your emotions. Just let it flow.
- Sleep Well: Sleeping holds the key to most of the problems. People become irritated if they lack proper sleep as the mind hasn’t relaxed properly it won’t be ready to function to the fullest extent. So, it is the best solution which is in our control.
- Do what you like: People are shy in their approach towards life and livelihood. Remove the fact ‘what people will think’ from your mind and see you have a whole world to conquer. It is our lives and we live only once, so shape it as you like it. This would let your mood be light and cheerful.
- A trip would do it: Sometimes being at one place makes you feel imprisoned. It is a good idea to have a trip alone or with your loved ones to have some fun and a change of atmosphere.
- Time is the best Healer: Time, the ultimate healer would be the last thing you can rely on to overcome this bad mood. Everything has its phase and it comes to an end someday. So, when you can’t really help yourself then just leave it on time and it will be taken care of.
Now, since you know about the bad moods and their effects on day-to-day lives. You need to understand that being in bad mood is not going to help you in any way. You will always be in an irritated and annoyed mindset which would often lead you to make wrong decisions under such circumstances. But, it is also a common thing to experience in different age groups and it is not a disease. Don’t panic or go into an exaggerated state just because you are constantly getting into bad moods. There are ways to get rid of it, follow them, and attain peace of mind!